When do loans ( FHA and Conventional) require mortgage insurance?

Deal Score0

I heard that all loans now require mortgage insurance. Which ones require and which ones do not? Please reply asap as I am trying to apply for a loan with a broker.

  1. Reply
    the kid
    May 15, 2011 at 12:02 am

    Usually if you have 80% or less Loan to Value (loan is 80% or less of the appraised value) you do not need PMI.

  2. Reply
    Beverly S
    May 15, 2011 at 12:07 am

    FHA required upfront MIP no matter what, and monthly if over 15 year term. Conventional does not require if you are under 80% LTV.

  3. Reply
    May 15, 2011 at 12:09 am

    VA does not- but does require a “funding fee” which may serve the same purpose. FHA charges a large one and since the loan is usually pretty high risk they need that insurance. Conventional conforming requires one on almost all loans that have less than 20% down. Non conforming loans have a whole set of their own rules.

    The costs will be there one way or another unless you are putting a substantial amount down.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password