What is the difference between a mortgage broker and a loan originator?

Deal Score0
  1. Reply
    February 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

    somewhat simular, a loan arranger is the person some folks begin, known as an originator; places you with a mortgage broker that has $ $ $ at his fingertips.

  2. Reply
    February 24, 2011 at 2:41 pm

    A loan officer is an employee for a mortgage company or lender and is not required to be licensed. A mortgage broker is a licensed professional and works as a contractor (received a1099 not a W-2) for its earnings.

  3. Reply
    Cary 1971
    February 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

    They’re generally the same thing… loan officer, loan originator, mortgage broker, etc. Though, a true broker will own the company and/or be licensed by the state.

  4. Reply
    February 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm

    Hi there-
    Ive been in the mortgage lending business for 6 years and have wondered about this question also. There really isn’t a difference in the two, it depends on the company that the person works for. Brokers work for Brokerage firms and originators work for big lending firms. Good luck!


  5. Reply
    February 24, 2011 at 4:56 pm

    They are basically one and the same. Or should I say we are. I am a broker and have also been refered to as a consultant, or originator. They all do the same thing just a title.

  6. Reply
    February 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm

    A mortgage broker finds you a loan with a mortgage company. The mortgage company is the loan originator.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password