recently bought a house. need insur that covers pay off in case of death and make payments if disabled lt/st?

Deal Score0

I have home owners insurance but i think a need a product that pays off my loan in case of death and also provides for my child, pays my monthly mortgage if i become disabled whether short term or long term

  1. Reply
    May 17, 2011 at 12:48 am

    my bank offered me this when I took out my mortgage – you could ask them?
    hsbc bank

  2. Reply
    May 17, 2011 at 1:13 am

    you need life insurance – I use Amica – they do discounts for multi policy holders and are a great company — I have dealt with them for almost 20 years and my parents longer than that…

  3. Reply
    May 17, 2011 at 1:42 am

    I know Lutheran Brotherhood has insurance to cover your needs.

  4. Reply
    Ricky Lee
    May 17, 2011 at 2:23 am

    Your morgage company should be able to help you with that

  5. Reply
    ML Attinger, InsuranceGuide101
    May 17, 2011 at 2:55 am

    Mortgage life and disability insurance should answer your needs. I’m actually surprised that your mortgage lender wouldn’t have offered it to you when you got your mortgage! They make good money on this kind of insurance, and generally there is some kind of incentive for the loans officer to encourage you to purchase it.

    An option to consider is that you may be able to get life insurance on your mortgage cheaper by buying a term life insurance policy separate from your mortgage. Every time your mortgage comes up for renegotiation, you can reduce the amount of insurance that you are buying, and save yourself some money. This is different than mortgage insurance for which the premiums stay the same and are based on the original amount of the mortgage. The disadvantage is that the money is paid to your estate and doesn’t automatically go against your mortgage. However, you would have assets in your estate this way to pay your mortgage and could leave instructions for that to happen with your executor or legal counsel.

    Life insurance obviously won’t cover your mortgage in case of sickness or disability though. For this, you could consider a disability policy. This will allow you to be covered for more than just your mortgage — it protects your income directly. In most cases, you can get a disability policy that will pay you 60% of your salary now. If you pay for it yourself, that 60% will be tax free (because you’ve paid for the policy with after tax dollars). In many cases, if this benefit is tax free, it will be sufficient for you to cover your regular expenses.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password