My friend has an apartment insurance issue?

Deal Score0

he had a contractor come in and do some plumbing and it leak and destroy bathroom two stories below est 10000. they said his insurance doesn’t cover it because he didn’t get content insurances. there is no strata. is it true he doesn’t have insurance for this. i know he should talk to a laywer and stuff but he doesn’t have the money.

He owns the apartment unit and has standard insurance (im assuming) but not content ( i have the same but my insurance is under strata and i have to get content insurance on my own) he doesn’t have strata though

he hired the contractor
strata is a group that takes care of the complex and you pay dues for it…..its canadian maybe?

  1. Reply
    December 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm


  2. Reply
    December 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

    Seems to me that if the contractor did the damage he should be held liable. I would call around to the free lawyers to find out. there are some that will help just look in the phone book good luck

  3. Reply
    December 4, 2012 at 3:22 pm

    If he just bought coverage for his building then he has no coverage, but he needs to look at his policy, However, that being said, I would talk to the contractor, if he was a reputable licensed contractor he should have liability coverage which would cover the mess he created….then the problem would be solved. if the contractor didnt have insurance, the possiblity is there that his policies liability coverage would cover “damage to others” so check that as well (make sure that is clear when he speaks to the agent, that this is not his stuff that is damaged) otherwise each state has an Insurance Commissioner which regulates each agents and each companies license. A complaint to that department usually goes a long way in getting results. just do a google search for “dept of insurance”+ the state you are in…most even have email addresses.

  4. Reply
    December 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm

    What does “there is no strata” mean? Strata is in the atmosphere.

    You said, “his insurance doesn’t cover it because he has no insurance”. So yes, it’s true. If he has no insurance, there’s nothing to cover. There IS No “standard” insurance for apartment buildings. It’s cafeteria style. You pick what you want to insure. You can only insure YOUR stuff, not someone else’s. Many times, for apartments, there isn’t any WATER DAMAGE coverage.

    What’s on HIS policy? Someone would have to LOOK at it, to see.

  5. Reply
    December 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm

    Since you’re calling it a Strata instead of a Condo I’m assuming you’re either from Australia or British Columbia, since these are the only two places that call condominium buildings Stratas. The strata is the corporation that owns the common property, similar to a HOA or Condo Corporation.
    I’m assuming that your friend is the owner of the unit and is either living in it or renting it out and did not purchase a Condo Unit Owner’s policy or a Rented Condo policy. If this is true then your friend is in for a rude awakening about responsibility. The Strata’s policy will cover the damages, however they will only repair the unit to it’s original state. So if your friend or the other owners replaced the original linoleum floors in the bathroom with ceramic tile the strata insurer will only repair the floor with linoleum. The owners have to pay the additional cost to put the floor back to the way it was upgraded. Also the Strata is entitled to go after the owner for the deductible on the Strata’s policy. As well the owners of the other two units that were damaged or their insurer can go after your friend for their damages as well. Now if your friend had gone out and purchased a Condo Unit Owner’s policy or a Rented Condo policy for $ 150-$ 200 a year this would have all have been covered by that policy. The only thing he can do now is go after the plumber for the damages. Hope the plumber is insured or else you’re friend is screwed.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password