Is there any legal document to protect my 1/2 of inherited house w/out putting my name on deed with other heir?
I don’t want to be liable with my irresposible brother by putting my name on deed. I won’t sell it now and kick him out even as it makes most sense. He hasn’t worked in few yrs and house is in disrepair/MESS so not worth too much.(I am not rich at all,have no pocket $ but I can’t kick him out) He expects to stay & I don’t entirely trust him not to screw me later so I am taking chance to deed him house & he does right thing later if he sells & gives me my 1/2 inheritance. Also 2 cars from my Mom(Mustanng/Caddy)I know he wants both (I drive him b/c his dl suspended) but I think I’ll tell him I want one to sell so I have a little $ . I don’t trust him to insure house/maintain etc & that’s also why I don’t want my name on deed to protect my husband/kids from lawsuit etc if something goes wrong there. He won’t be able to get a loan/mortgage to buy me out so is there a promissory note or legal doc. that can make him acknowledge I am 1/2 owner and he has to pay me what he owes me for 1/2 house if he should sell–minus any improvements if by some miracle he suddenly gets motivation and fixes it up. (We also split a 401k which he took $ out to live on while he sleeps all day) There is also a need to do this all soon as probate up in few months and lawyer told me I need to wrap up soon and tell him what plans are for house (that’s another long story but basically,yes we must do this fast so I don’t have much time to decide. He has me do everything with calling lawyers etc so he’s just waiting I guess for me to tell him what I’ve learned and I need to protect myself. I don’t think I have time to make myself the holder of a mortgage for my 1/2 that bro will have to pay to me as my husband suggests. Bro may not go for that anyway and I know he won’t pay every month but as long as later if he sells I don’t get cut out completely I’m ok w/ not seeing $ now or for years. Also if he were to marry someday couldn’t his wife just take over house and keep it all so long as I don’t hold motgage or 1/2 deed? That’s why I need some legal note to protect my interset w/out kicking him out. And yes, I know I should and he’s taking advantage but I’m stuck between that rock/hard place. PLEASE help. Any advice that may resolve my nightmare will be cherished(We are 37-me and 38 yrs old by the way and Mom died over 2 yrs ago) Thank you very much