is plumbing failure covered by home insurance?

Deal Score0

pipes under the house are broken th the sewer lined requires breaking up the floor of basement and lavoratory to fix

  1. Reply
    April 13, 2014 at 12:06 am

    Insurance does NOT cover that.

    It has to be a sudden incident that causes the lose.

    Wear and tear or defects in workmanship are not insured.

  2. Reply
    April 13, 2014 at 12:27 am


  3. Reply
    INS CSR-L.A. County
    April 13, 2014 at 1:08 am

    Under most insurance policies, the damage to the structure to get to the pipes is covered. However, maintenance to the pipes is not. So if you have to distroy your floor to reach them, that is an insurable claim. But having the plumber replace the pipes is not.

  4. Reply
    April 13, 2014 at 1:23 am

    You need to check your policy to see instead of just listening to people on here just say “no” when they dont know what they are talking about. It is very possible that you could be covered, but this is usually at an additional cost so if you just have the bare bones coverage you may not be. Give your insurance company a call or pull out your policy and have a look at it to see.

  5. Reply
    April 13, 2014 at 1:29 am

    Actually, your insurance will probably cover that providing that the pipes that are broken are ON YOUR PROPERTY and the the “county’s pipes”. Call you insurance agent.

  6. Reply
    April 13, 2014 at 1:39 am

    Well, there are a lot of little questions to ask.

    Like, how did the pipes break? What kind of homeowners policy do you have? What are the exclusions? On a standard HO3 form, the cost to dig through the basement floor to get to a pipe directly under the house is covered.

    Breaking through walls to get to a pipe, is covered, if the pipe burst is sudden & accidental.

    Digging through your driveway to get to the outside pipe, is NOT covered. Digging up your yard, is NOT covered. Tree roots in the pipe, are NOT covered. Damage to the pipe itself, NOT COVERED.

    Some policies won’t be as broad, and won’t cover digging through the floors or walls to get to a pipe.

    You’re really going to need to talk to your agent to get case specific info.

  7. Reply
    April 13, 2014 at 1:55 am

    Wear and tear is not covered.

    However, resulting water damage may be (depending on the policy form you have).

    for example: the hot water heater rusts out….water floods the house damaging the hard wood floor. The policy does not pay for the water heater. But it will pay for the resulting damage to the hard wood floors.

    Some policies may not pay for the damage to the pipe but may pay for the access to the pipe.

    It all depends on the language in your policy. They only way to know is to turn in a claim. At best the policy will help with the loss but will probably not pay for it all.

    However, you have to turn the claim in before the work is done. The policy says the insurance company has the right to inspect the damage.

  8. Reply administrator
    April 13, 2014 at 2:04 am

    Honestly this question depends on the actual policy language in your policy. The best person to answer this is going to be someone in claims at your insurance company. In most cases, water damage has to be “sudden and accidental” as opposed to something which has happened over time. Now it also depends on exactly what the root of the problem as to how the line broke to begin with. You will want to call your agent or claims department and ask questions, before filing a claim. Here is an article which walks you through the claims process on a homeowners policy should you happen to need it.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password