I’m a renter who’s home is in foreclosure. Do I pay rent? & I think there’s fraud. Help!?

Deal Score0

I’ve been renting a beautiful southern California home for over two years. One day I see a Trustee Sale Notice on my Garage. When I called my Landlord she came right over and admitted that she hadn’t payed her mortgage, but was getting a Home modification Loan. Some sort of program to help owners keep their home and get a lower rate. “I think.” However she’s saying she lives in the home. Because that’s the only way she can Modify her loan. She keeps getting an extension on her Trustee Sale, and so I keep paying rent because she’s the legal owner and can serve me with a three day notice to pay rent or quit. Do I move out pronto and find another place? Do I skip out on rent? Do I report her? And how? And does she need to live in the home in order to re-modify her loan? What are some websites, or services that are provided to help me?

  1. Reply
    Rose M
    April 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm

    personally, I wouldn’t even mess with it or just move.

    If you report her and decide to not pay rent she can kick you out since I doubt you signed a legally binding lease seeing how she is telling people she lives there.

    People are having problems with the economy and she is just trying to do what she can do to keep her house.
    If you report her she might lose the house and then you will have to leave.

  2. Reply
    April 29, 2011 at 10:45 pm

    you can do a check a check about the person’s background with Background search tool.

  3. Reply
    «♥» U R Loved «♥»
    April 29, 2011 at 10:57 pm

    She is required to be living in the home in order to have the loan modified,those are bank rules.The reason she hadn’t paid her mortgage is another reason that the bank WILL help her.If you want to move,move,but she is trying to save her home from foreclosure.

  4. Reply
    Expert Realtor
    April 29, 2011 at 11:18 pm

    She isn’t going to get another loan…she is stalling to get you to pay rent.

    Call the Trustee, get them to send YOU something in writing stating the home is currently in foreclosure…and then move out…that notice will legally break your lease, because as soon as the bank legally takes it back, she has no control over the home anymore.

    You’ll have to move out at your own expense.

  5. Reply
    April 30, 2011 at 12:04 am

    She will sue you over unpaid rent, and no judge will make her bring her mortgage papers to the hearing. They will not be made public. You will simply have an eviction on your credit report and owe her the money.

    After the house is sold the bank will give you a 30 day notice to move, not a 3 day, as you will not owe them any money.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password