If I take over as Administer of my Father estate do I owe all of his bills?

Deal Score0

My Father died in Alabama without a Will. He has a house and 2 cars and $ 50,000 in bills left over. The house is a HUD house no apparent equity. I don’t work so will I have to pay off his bills? The realestate market is slow for buying homes and that made me shy of this matter. I just want to walk away and leave thing for people to grab or homeless people to move in.

  1. Reply
    October 30, 2011 at 2:04 am

    talk to a lawyer about this…!!!

  2. Reply
    October 30, 2011 at 3:02 am

    Speak with several Reality companies and learn as much as you can about Land lord issues and Tenet Rights.
    I suggest renting it out and have a Reality company manage it.

  3. Reply
    I gotta Tell you...
    October 30, 2011 at 3:24 am

    YOU Personally are NOT responsible for his bills. You would have to be appointed by the courts through probate as the administrator in order for any creditors to be able to discuss things with you!

    Once named administrator through the courts, then you can legally dispose of his estate and assets. Put the house on the market with a realtor or try to sell it to an investor. Call the mortgage holder (if there is a mortgage) and let them know your father is deceased. Get PLENTY Of copies of his death certificate (like7-10) and then make copies to send to creditors. Anything that is a secured loan, they may come repossess. Other than that, other bills might want to know if he has anything in his estate to satisfy the bill or they might just write it off. The one that owes it is deceased.

    But NO, you personally will NOT be responsible for his bills.


  4. Reply
    October 30, 2011 at 3:58 am

    Don’t run.find out from legal aid what your rights are.if there is no equity in the home there is nothing to come after.you don’t owe anybody his estate does.Hud has first crack at the house.they will quicker work with you than have it foreclosed on.

  5. Reply
    Rebecca C
    October 30, 2011 at 4:35 am

    I think you should get legal help with this matter. There is free legal service if you can’t afford to pay. There is a lot of steps you have to follow to settle a estate.One of which is to do nothing for a period of time to give debts time to come in.

  6. Reply
    October 30, 2011 at 5:31 am

    You won’t have to worry about paying off his bills. As soon as they get notice that he passed on, the courts will move in and take over the estate to pay all that is owed. If your lucky it’ll cover everything. I have never heard of them having anything left over.
    In fact, if you have anything in the house, get it out before they come, you’ll have to prove what’s yours or they’ll take it.

    Good luck, the vultures are about to land.

  7. Reply
    October 30, 2011 at 6:21 am

    His estate must pay the bills, not you personally. If there is no money in the estate then there is no money to pay the bills with. Liquidate split the money between the creditors and walk away.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password