I own my home – no mortgage. If I can’t pay my back taxes, the home will be sold. Is there any help?

Deal Score0

I can’t get a loan because I do private housecleaning, and it isn’t a “real” job. My husband was injured 10 years ago on the job and he has a lawsuit which is about to close soon, but not soon enough. He applied for disability, but here in upstate N.Y. if you have one good arm and one good leg, you’re still able to get a job. Can anyone gives us any suggestions?

  1. Reply
    May 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

    yes. but if you got a loan, how would you pay it off?

    get back to me; I have an atty friend in NY.

  2. Reply
    May 18, 2011 at 9:43 am

    If your home doesn’t have a mortgage, then go get yourself a home equity line of credit. Use the house to pay the back taxes.

  3. Reply
    The Masked Avenger
    May 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

    Perhaps you could consider getting a real job. There are many housecleaning companies out there. Get a real job with them and keep your private clientele on the side.

    Perhaps your husband could consider finding some sort of work. There are not many positions that he could do, it is true, but it sounds like he is capable of at least sedentary work. He could be a telephone customer service rep, a receptionist, a Wal-mart greeter, etc.

    However, while you are both looking for work, your husband’s lawyer may be able to offer some advice as to what to do while the settlement proceeds come through. Some lawyers even will offer “compassionate loans”…loans that they cannot charge interest on…that you must pay back once the settlement funds are in hand.

  4. Reply
    May 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

    A reverse mortgage might be one solution, albeit not the best of ideas for many. You have to read the fine print and weigh the options. They pay you to stay in the home and, if you sell it, they get a large percentage of the profits. As time goes by, the percentage grows.

    No relatives who will be your heirs? They may wish to contribute towards the taxes if they know they would eventually inherit the property. Hard to put this onto your children but then again, do they want you at their door looking for a place to stay?

    You may be able to downsize into a smaller home and have some funds left over from the sale of the house to pay the taxes on the new place. This takes time.

    You need to determine just how long before back taxes actually become an issue for the county/city/etc. They may impose a penalty for quite a period of time before starting any foreclosure action. Many people get delinquent on their taxes and are never foreclosed on. You need to know how long that is so you can judge whether or not you need to do something drastic. It may take some of the lawsuit funds but that is the price you’ll have to learn to live with.

    Do you have any assets you can sell? Better to lose Aunt Dora’s old silverware than the house. Or get rid of the 2nd car if you have one. Once you are back on your feet, you can get another.

    Hope something works out for you. You need to plan ahead since taxes are due every year. Otherwise this will be a reoccuring nightmare.

  5. Reply
    May 18, 2011 at 11:20 am

    You can get a loan, you do not need a “real job”, just income. Use your tax returns as proof of income, you will not have a problem. I have not had a “real job” for almost 20 years and even now I have no problems with loans and income.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password