I live in Missouri and was wanting to know how to find out my land lords home owner insurance Holder is?

Deal Score0

I was hurt on my land loards proprty and the manager won’t tell me the insuance companys name to file a claim
this person is a slum lord that won’t fix nothing

  1. Reply
    June 28, 2011 at 4:42 pm

    Why is it his fault you hurt yourself? If I were him I’d tell you to fuck off. He’s letting you live in his house and you want to sue his insurance company?

    It’s people like you that make me have to hold 4 times as much liability insurance on each of my properties than they are actually worth.

    What exactly was broken? Did you know it was broken before you hurt yourself on it? Have YOU tried to fix it?

  2. Reply
    Lou K
    June 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

    I assume the land lords property was substandard and this led to you being hurt. Its easy really all you have to do is report you land lord and the property manager to the real estate division as they have violated your rights to a certain standard of property, other thing you could do is demand the property manager provide you with this information or you will vacate said property with continuing your lease, no you will not be held liable for unpaid rent as its called contructive eviction. Means that both the landlord and property manager are at fault, most property managers do not like this so he might work with you if you threaten him w ith this.

  3. Reply
    June 28, 2011 at 5:19 pm

    Well, first of all, leased premises are not covered by a standard homeowners policy but by a policy known as a “dwelling/fire” policy. It may or may not have liability coverage included depending upon state laws.

    However, that said, your claim isn’t with the landlord’s insurance company but with the landlord himself. If you feel that you were injured due to the landlord’s negligence you first need to file a claim with the landlord. A simple letter will suffice and should outline the pertinent facts, i.e. how you were injured, why you feel he is liable, and the amount of your damages. Mail it to the landlord via certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a copy for your records as well as the return receit as proof of delivery. If he refuses the letter and it comes back, keep it but do NOT open it! If the landlord accepts your claim he’ll pay you and your done.

    Most of the time the landlord will deny your claim or simply ignore it. Your next step is to file suit against the landlord.

    If the amount of your damages are below (or close to) the small claims limit just file in small claims court.

    If your claimed damages are significant you’ll need to retain an attorney to pursue the issue on your behalf. Sometimes just getting a letter from your attorney will be enough to get the landlord to settle. If that doesn’t work, it’s off to court you go.

    It’s up to the landlord to file any claim with his insurance company himself. If you get a judgement against him he may decide to pay it out of pocket to keep his insurance costs down. Or he may not have any liability insurance at all.

    Consult with an attorney for advice specific to your situation.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password