I live in Illinois and I live in two places, I can claim my mortgage interest on my wife a residenncy?

Deal Score0

I own a condo in a city, but I apply for residence in another city, where I rent. My wife lives in the apartment. She says the head of household. The mortgage is in my name. Can I ask my interest on their loans and PMI on your tax return? How can I do that? Thank you.

  1. Reply
    May 15, 2011 at 12:11 am

    if its her primary resident YES

  2. Reply
    May 15, 2011 at 12:12 am

    No. Mortgage interest may be claimed only by a person who (1) is on the mortgage, and (2) pays the interest.

  3. Reply
    May 15, 2011 at 12:47 am

    If you are married, her “head of household’ returns are filed illegally, unless you have split up, haven’t spent even one night together since 6/30/09, and she has a child of hers living with her and is providing over half the cost of maintaining that household. Your choices are a joint return, or each of you file as married filing separately.

    In any case, if the mortgage is in your name only and not hers, no she can’t claim the mortgage interest. If the place you rent is your main home, where you spend most of your nights, but you spend some of your time at the condo, you can claim the mortgage interest on your return – or of course if you and your wife file a joint return you can claim it there.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password