how do you write off mortgage interest with the irs if you don’t have a form 1098 and no social security?

Deal Score0

this loan was not through a bank, it was a warranty deed purchase and I am trying to write off approximately 6k but he won’t supply me with his social security number nor will he file a form 1098. What can I do?

  1. Reply
    February 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

    Document your attempts to get the social security number from the lendor and contact the IRS or an accountant to determine what you should do. I have heard that the IRS will fine you if you dont enter a tax id number when you try to claim mortgage interest paid to an individual, but I could be wrong. You should inform your lender that if he/she does not give you a tax id number than you will report him/her to the IRS by not conforming with the IRC, even if its a bluff it may work.

  2. Reply
    February 1, 2011 at 1:22 pm

    I’d call the IRS and ask them. The recipient of the interest obviously isn’t planning to claim it, which is illegal. You need his social security number to claim the deduction.

  3. Reply
    February 1, 2011 at 1:56 pm

    The person who sold you the property is required to give you his Tax ID number. He can get an ITIN and give it to you rather than his SSN, but he is required to give it to you.

    Could you take your return to an attorney or assertive tax preparer and have them contact the person? If that doesn’t work, put his name and address on the Schedule A. You don’t need a 1098 to figure your interest, just figure it from the terms of the sale.

    You may have to mail in this return. I’d add an attachment that the seller refused to provide his tax identification number.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password