Homeowners Insurance Question?

Deal Score0

I have recently put in an in ground pool at my house. It is vinyl not gunite. Am I required to inform my insurance company or do I need to amend my policy to reflect the pool? I live in Nassau County, NY if it matters. Thanks

  1. Reply
    Matt K
    July 17, 2011 at 7:25 pm

    I would say you should notify them, because if something happens related to the pool, then they may try not to pay a claim – claiming that you did not inform them.

    It may increase your rates, but at least you would be covered if something happens to someone on your property.

  2. Reply
    July 17, 2011 at 7:28 pm

    A catch – 22 situation for you here. Tell them about the pool and your rates will go up or don’t tell them and run the risk of not having coverage if something happens to the pool or God forbid some neighbor kid drowns in it.

    Pools (and trampolines) present the largest “backyard” risks for homeowners insurance companies. .

    FYI I am NOT an agent but I am aware of some cases where the insurance company will require the homeowner to put a fence around the pool along with other safety precautions or they will cancel the policy.

    So unless you are extremely wealthy I would still recommend telling your company about the pool and dealing with the higher rates.

  3. Reply
    July 17, 2011 at 8:17 pm

    Call your agent. Every state is different. For the most part they will want to make sure it meets the building codes for your area (fences). In some states companies can charge for a pool but most do not. I think NY does not allow a charge. It is a good time to review your coverages anyway. Call him/her up and ask them to review your home coverages for discounts you might be missing.

  4. Reply
    July 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

    Well, it’s a substantial improvement on the property, but it’s NOT covered, except in very limited circumstances. From a liabiltiy point of view, you really should tell them you added a pool, so they can put that pool liability endorsement on your policy, if they have one. But wait until the fence is up, first – because if they come out and find no fence, you’re in trouble!

    If you DON’T tell them, it’s not a big deal.

  5. Reply
    July 17, 2011 at 9:56 pm

    Yes, call your insurance company that is an asset to your home.

  6. Reply
    kirsten h
    July 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm

    well every state and company has different underwriting guidelines that must be followed. i would advise you to call them. where i write, inground pools ARE covered under a ho policy. it is considered “other structures”. we also have companies that require a certain height fence, no diving boards, etc in order to meet their guidelines. we also write for companies that make you sign a “pool exclusion” because they will not cover the liability on a pool. it is DEFINATELY something you need to let your company know about.

  7. Reply
    July 17, 2011 at 11:15 pm

    There is coverage under a homeowners for inground pools. It is considered an other structure under your policy. I represent multiple companies and none of them charge an additional premium for the pool but all of them do require that you have a fenced in yard with self latching gates. Some companies have problems with diving boards and slide. You need to call your insurance agent and talk to them about it. If the company you are with will not do a pool them you will have to move your insurance

  8. Reply
    nurse ratchet
    July 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm

    I am not familiar with the laws of your area, but you should notify your homeowners agent in case there is a specific exclusion on your policy for pools. The bad way to learn that is after you have a claim that includes injured people. You may pay a little more, but it will protect you from paying a lot and maybe losing everything you have later.

    PS A pool is an attraction to everybody – you are responsible even if someone breaks into your yard and hurts themself on your premises while just taking a little dip in your pool.

  9. Reply
    July 17, 2011 at 11:46 pm

    Notify your insurance company about the pool. For one, your current “other structures” coverage may not be sufficient to cover the pool if it is damaged beyond repair (say, by a large tree falling) and needs to be replaced. Second, depending upon your insurance company, you may or may not be fully protected for liability arising out of pool ownership. You need to make sure that your liability coverage will apply to an incident arising out of your pool.

    I ask you – what is worse, avoiding a possible extra charge of say $ 45 / year to have it included for liability OR being sued after an incident and having no or very limited coverage and ending up with a substantial judgement against you. Better to pay the insurance company the small check so that if something happens they write the big one…

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password