I wonder what the founding fathers would think of the current state or our union today?

Tips and Deals Forums Debt Management Debt Management I wonder what the founding fathers would think of the current state or our union today?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m not under the illusion that our founding fathers were perfect or wrote a holy document in producing the constitution but I do think their efforts were incredibly successful.

To that end, I looked for and found quotes from some of the founding fathers that I wish guided public policy today.

“When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

“I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.” –Thomas Jefferson

“To contract new debts is not the way to pay for old ones.”– George Washington letter to James Welch, April 7, 1799

“The maxim of buying nothing without the money in our pockets to pay for it would make of our country one of the happiest on earth.” — Thomas Jefferson to Alexander Donald, 1787. ME 6:192

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. — Thomas Jefferson

“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.” — Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

“Repeal that [welfare] law, and you will soon see a change in their manners. St. Monday and St. Tuesday, will soon cease to be holidays. Six days shalt thou labor, though one of the old commandments long treated as out of date, will again be looked upon as a respectable precept; industry will increase, and with it plenty among the lower people; their circumstances will mend, and more will be done for their happiness by inuring them to provide for themselves, than could be done by dividing all your estates among them.” — Benjamin Franklin letter to Collinson, May 9, 1753

“I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious.” –Thomas Jefferson

“The same prudence, which in private life would forbid our paying our own money for unexplained projects, forbids it in the dispensation of the public monies.” — Thomas Jefferson letter to Shelton Giliam, June 19, 1808

“It is a miserable arithmetic which makes any single privation whatever so painful as a total privation of everything which must necessarily follow the living so far beyond our income.” –Thomas Jefferson to William Hay, 1787. ME 6:223

Any thoughts?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Register New Account
Reset Password