Does this sound like the right amount for my tax return? It doesn’t seem fair =(?

Deal Score0

I’m not married yet, 27, live in MN and I claim 0 on my taxes.
I have two jobs and income stats for last year are as follows:
(I don’t have any crazy things either like schooling or a mortgage. I just pay on student loans)

Total Gross Income:

Federal taxes withheld: 2,928
State taxes withheld: 1,326

I have no children yet either.

H&R Block’s website estimated $ 1,000 for my refund… that seems low to me? Especially since the government took over $ 4,000 of my hard earned, small amount of money last year.

Could H&R Block’s estimator be wrong?!

Last year I made a few thousand less with only one job and I got $ 1,300 back.

  1. Reply
    February 12, 2011 at 8:06 am

    go to and try the free version to see if it is correct or not. you just need to fill in the blanks on the computer with the numbers on your W2

  2. Reply
    February 12, 2011 at 9:01 am

    The more you make, the more you owe. So yes, if you made more money this year, with the same withholding, and no change to your filing status or exemptions or deductions, you’ll probably get back less.

  3. Reply
    February 12, 2011 at 9:37 am

    yes i would ask them to re-check it or take it to someone else. Especially if you made less last year and got back more. Don’t forget, you’re student loan interest is a tax deduction!! =)

    Good Luck!!

  4. Reply
    February 12, 2011 at 9:58 am

    Yes, it sounds about right. First of all, the total $ 4000 is for both state and federal. They do not work together in this sense. You need to look at it as FIT withheld is 2928 and that is what you are getting the tax refund against. It is very possible that you have managed to push yourself into the next bracket. But all in all, this sounds right.

  5. Reply
    little debbie
    February 12, 2011 at 10:37 am

    yes i work for h and r block. your filing status deduction for single is 5350, your personel exemption is 3400. minus these amount from 24544 and you get 15794. since you have no deductions or credits to help you lower this amount it is your taxable income. your tax on this amount is 1975. therefore if you subtract 1975 from the 2928 you had withheld then you get 953 as your federal refund. having said that if you did pay student loans than that will reduce your federal tax liability , by how much i do not know so the above amount will change a little but it is still an in the ball park estimate.

    the reason you got more back last year is that you didnt make as much money so your taxable income wasnt as high therefor you had a lower tax liability.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password