Do I need to file a Form 1099-C for a loan I made?

Deal Score0

I loaned a friend some money. She made a few payments, then stopped. She signed a promissory note and I have made collection efforts, all documented. I want to take the short term capital loss (bad debt) on my 2007 taxes. Do I have to file a Form 1099-C with the IRS, or do only banks/mortgage companies have to file that form?
She has stated flat-out that she is not going to pay any more of the debt.

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

      Leave a reply

      Register New Account
      Reset Password