do i need insurance for my home business?

Deal Score0

i live in FL and i own a delivery business. i deliver from restaurants to people’s houses. i am the only employee.

do i need insurance for this?

i also want to start my own catering business from home and use my own personal kitchen. again, i will be the only employee. do i need insurance for this business or any sort of special license/


  1. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 10:38 am

    Only if you want to be covered, if you’re in an accident while you’re delivering something, or of someone sues you for alleged food poisoning.

    Personal car insurance doesn’t cover delivery. And homeowners won’t cover any business operations.

  2. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 11:27 am

    If you are making the deliveries using a vehicle (car, truck, etc.), then you definitely need insurance, although more because of the risk of crashing than anything else. However, you should also have liability insurance to cover other eventualities, such if someone gets sick from the food and sues you claiming that it was fine when it left the restaurant and you had it out of the refrigerator for too long. The main issue, however, is insurance for the vehicle.

    In many places, it is illegal to use a personal kitchen for a catering business. Many places require all catering businesses to have commercial kitchens.

    Even if you do live somewhere that allows use of personal kitchens for a business, you will probably need a license and to have the health department inspect your kitchen.

  3. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm

    You need higher limits on your auto insurance in case there is a car accident that is your fault. You also need to let your auto insurance company know to rate (charge) you for business use on your auto insurance.

    For a catering company you would need a business policy that includes liability. Try the small business association for help.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password