Can we file insurance claim when selling the house?

Deal Score0

We are selling our house. The inspector found some hail damage and requested the roof to be replaced. My home insurances covers hail and wind damage, but would they pay for if we are in the process selling our house?

  1. Reply
    July 21, 2011 at 3:47 am

    Yes, they will. File the claim, and have the inspector take a look.

    The insurance company is insuring your house. They are not involved in your business activities, so the sale is not of interest to them.

    – Stuart

  2. Reply
    james m
    July 21, 2011 at 4:13 am

    Yes, file the claim, because in the closing of the sale, the buyer may ask that roof be replaced.

    It doesn’t make any difference if you are selling the house or not, as long as you are the owner, and have paid insurance on it, the insurance company must pay legitimate claims for their covered perils.

  3. Reply
    Steve S
    July 21, 2011 at 4:57 am

    You can file a claim but you will need some important information, what was the date fo loss. If there hasn’t been a major storm in over 1 year you will have a hard time proving that your loss happening during the currently policy period. You have 1 year to report claims. With that being said if you can tell them how, when, where the loss happened you are in luck. Your question is very common of insurance companies and you are entitled to coverage as it is a covered peril on you policy but you best make certain that you know your facts first. If you have questions talk to your agent. Good Luck

  4. Reply
    July 21, 2011 at 5:43 am

    Well, it’s very likely that they’ll pay, but you’ll need a date of loss – preferably one where there was a hail storm in your area.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password