Can I buy a house without a mortgage?

Deal Score0

I expect my house to sell additional, for which I pay a mortgage (15 years to go) am. The mortgage is really low. Can I sell the house without having to pay the mortgage (ie I can only mortgage interest subsidies), for example, for a few years (my investments should be much higher than the rate of mortgage interest)? Is this an option that I negotiate with my lender?


  1. Reply
    Jesse Willms
    May 16, 2011 at 4:16 am

    When you sell the house the bank will require you to pay off the mortgage before they transfer title over to the new buyer.

    They do this because otherwise they would have no collateral on the money you still owe them (i.e. they couldn’t foreclose on the house from the new owner if you stopped paying.)

  2. Reply
    Connie L
    May 16, 2011 at 5:14 am

    No, when you sell the property, the mortgage is due.

    Your sale proceeds should cover the mortgage balance, you can use what is left for your investments.

  3. Reply
    Howard L
    May 16, 2011 at 5:16 am

    Not to repeat what the others have said but the mortgage holder has a lien on the property which means you can’t give or sell title to someone else without satisfying the lien. The only way to satisfy a lien is to pay the amount owed. When a property is sold a title search is performed. The purpose of the title search is to find out who actually owns the property and to find out if there are any liens which would prevent the purchaser from obtaining title to the property.

  4. Reply
    Kd D
    May 16, 2011 at 5:59 am

    There are a few options available to you. You can ask the lender if the note on the property is assumable. In that case, a buyer can take over the payments you once made. You may also do what is called a
    “wrap around” mortgage or “all inclusive” loan. In this case, ownership of the property transfers to the buyer but the loan remains in your name. Your loan agreement may have an “acceleration clause which would make the loan all due and payable upon transfer of property to someone else so both you and the buyer must be aware of the risks involved. It’s important to have a separate account set up where an executor receives payments from the buyer, then sends those payments to the lender. In any event, it is imperative that both you and the buyer have hazard insurance for the property to protect you and the lender (bank).

  5. Reply
    Expert Realtor
    May 16, 2011 at 6:33 am

    No, you cannot.

    Because there is a mortgage lien against the home, you cannot pass clear title to the new owner.

    Your lender will NOT negotiate that option.

  6. Reply
    infinite crisis 247
    May 16, 2011 at 7:22 am

    nope…the lien must be satisfied before title can change hands.

  7. Reply
    May 16, 2011 at 8:04 am

    No, the property is collateral for that mortgage.

  8. Reply
    tex k
    May 16, 2011 at 8:26 am

    No because to clear a mortgage you not only pay the outstanding sum left to pay but a proportion of the interest that the bank would have charged over the 15 years.Also you will never get a cash loan at a lower rate than a mortgage rate.And if you reckon your investment return will be higher than your mortgage charge then you are sadly misguided or misinformed.You would be far better renting the house paying the mortgage of as fast as possible and then selling .I reckon you could pay the mortgage of 8 years early without incurring penalty charges ( but this does depend on your lender)then sell the house on the open market .

  9. Reply
    David M
    May 16, 2011 at 8:49 am

    Maybe. But ask Loan Answers. I love these guys.

  10. Reply
    May 16, 2011 at 9:09 am


    I am answering your dire need of a loan because we can help you secure the loan you need.This is a registered,certfied and government approved lending company.We offer loan at a very convinient interest rate 3%.and loan offer ranges from $ 2,000 to $ 650,000.Have you been scammed,worry no more as we are here to give you the right answer to your financial problems.Why suffer in silence when you can come out of it by getting that assistance from us.Apply today and receive your loan in three working days .Interested persons should contact us for more informations via

    Full Name……….
    Monthly Income…………….
    Amount Needed……………
    Phone Number……………………..

    Mrs Rosie Henry.

  11. Reply
    May 16, 2011 at 9:38 am

    You could possibly get a personal loan for the balance, pay off the mortgage and then sell. You’ll still have to pay the new loan, obviously. and probably with not as good interest rate.

  12. Reply
    May 16, 2011 at 10:03 am

    It depends mostly on the loan agreement you signed with the bank. There also may be some state rules. Lenders do not like for you to do that. They made the loan based on your credit rating, and would be uncomfortable with you selling. Also, they would like to force you to pay off your low interest maortgage. If it is good for you, it is bad for the bank. Because of this, there are usually terms in a loan agreement requiring you to pay off the loan if you sell it.

  13. Reply
    Andrew D
    May 16, 2011 at 10:13 am


    YES, YES, and YES- you CAN sell a house without paying off an existing mortgage.

    1) If the mortgage is assumable, by all means yes! All you need to do is assign payments to the buyer of the property. It may require the lenders consent or it may also be contractually prohibited by a due on sale clause.

    2) If the mortgage has a due on sale clause but it is current on payments, why would the bank call the loan if the payments kept coming in??? If it’s not broken, don’t fix it right?

    -They have got bigger fish to fry such as the many, many foreclosures that have been occurring all across the nation.

    You can even create a Wrap around mortgage and create a revenue stream from the sale by having the attorney who processes the transaction create an “All Inclusive Trust Deed” (aka AITD) and ensure that the larger mortgage has a higher interest rate than the smaller mortgage.

    And to ensure that the bank does not call the loan, you can deed the house into a trust that you own who then sells the property creating the wrap.

    But consult an attorney about the matter for sound legal advice.


    Once you sell the property and create your wrap, you can sell the wrap to if you follow “the best note” guidelines. But call them up just to make sure they can buy it.

    Call me up, my contact info is on the site I just mentioned, I’ll answer any further questions you have.

  14. Reply
    May 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

    not legally.

  15. Reply
    Beverly S
    May 16, 2011 at 10:43 am

    No. The buyer would not have a clear title which any lender requires. Also your mortgage papers have a “due on sale” clause- meaning you can’t sell till they are paid off.

  16. Reply
    May 16, 2011 at 10:46 am

    Hi i found some website link i think you should look at hope it answers your question.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password