Can Home Owner Insurance be used to pay for auto accident?

Deal Score0

guy who t-boned my car says he is going to pay for it using home owners ins., how? his auto ins. lapsed 9 days prior to wreck. help me understand
unfortunately uninsured motorist covers bodily only in AZ & I Only have LIABILITY 🙁

  1. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 9:37 am

    He cannot. Hope you were carrying uninsured motorist coverage.

  2. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 10:22 am

    the homeowners insurance will not cover the auto accident, I hope that your insurance is paid up and you have good collision limits, and um/uim. Basically, the only way that the home would even come close to paying the auto is through the liability, and even that is questionable because most companies have exclusions on the liablity for auto accidents. I dont think he understands what is doing or he is trying to con you into thinking that it is being taken care of.

    you need to report the accident to your insurance company, and if you have not already to the police, let your company pay out the claim and go after him, that way your car is fixed and you dont have to worry about it.

    **edited in
    since you only have liablity, go ahead and talk to your insurance company, make sure you have notified the police and it depends on the value of your car, but either call a lawyer or bone up on small claims in your state…but it sounds like you will have to sue him

  3. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 10:36 am

    He can,t. Watch out; this guy is trying to flim flam you.

  4. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

    Car insurance – car accidents.

    Homeowners insurance – home accidents.

    Any questions?

    Call the police or take him to small claims court or both.

    Good luck and I hope this helps!

  5. Reply
    Bethany M
    June 26, 2011 at 12:02 pm

    Homeowners won’t pay for it. I don’t know how AZ insurance laws are, but you definately need to report the accident to YOUR insurance company yesterday!

  6. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm

    All above are correct…He has absolutely no chance of getting his homeowner’s insurance to pay for it unless he commits fraud which even then would be extremely difficult to pass. Since you don’t have uninsured motorist coverage I’d say your best bet is to file a lawsuit against the individual. With only liability insurance your company will not pay anything and neither will his since he had no coverage at the time of the accident. You need to go to small claims court or seek an attorney fast!

  7. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

    he’s scamming you!! file the claim with your ins. co. ASAP. then call an attorney.

  8. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm

    No, homeowners insurance won’t pay ANYTHING for a car accident. It’s not going to happen, sorry. There’s an absolute exclusion for damage you do in a car accident.

    Now, he MIGHT have an “umbrella liability” policy – but that requires him to carry at least $ 100,000 on a car policy, and if he doesn’t, then he has to pay the first $ 100,000, so that’s not going to help out, either.

    He’s going to have to write the check. And if he won’t, you’re going to have to sue him.

  9. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 2:44 pm

    He can’t.

    The standard home owners policy policy specifically excludes automobile liability.

    There is no way around this.

    Unless he plans on filing committing insurance fraud and filing a false claim against his homeowners (like a staged theft) and collecting that money to pay you – there is no other way. Given that this is insurance fraud and a crime – you would want no part of that.

    His homeowners insurance company will not cover a auto accident.

  10. Reply
    David M
    June 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm

    Report this immediately to the police and your insurance company. As far as this guy is concerned, he sounds like a scam artist. You’ll probably need a lawyer.

    The only way his homeowners might pay is if he t-boned you while you were in his driveway. Good luck!

  11. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 3:19 pm

    Homeowners insurance will DENY the claim. They do not cover auto accidents.

    File a claim with your auto insurance carrier and they will make sure all of your expenses are covered. They may cover them and then go after him for reimbursement since his insurance policy lapsed and has no coverage. Thats why you pay your insurance company. Let them help you.

  12. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm

    Most Homeowner’s policies will cover liability arising out of the use, ownership or operation of: self-propelled lawn mowers, snow blowers, or garden type tractors (up to a certain horsepower); motorized golf carts when used on a golf course; motorized wheelchairs or scooters that are designed to carry a person with a physical disability; a vehicle that is not subject to vehicle registration and is designed for use off public roads.
    So unless the guy t-boned you with one of the above types of vehicles on a place designated by the policy, he is scamming you and I would call the police and your insurer immediately.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password