Can anyone recommend a decent home contents insurer which will cover expensive personal items away from home?

Deal Score0

Expensive is all relative I know, but my wife has a £12’000 ring and a £8000 necklace, I have a £10’000 watch. What happens if we were mugged away from the house? also want it covered when it’s in the house

can anyone help?

  1. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 1:16 pm

    I used to work for Allianz Australia and their contents products were very good. I cannot vouch for the UK equivalent, but would assume similar cover. Cover away from the home is usually added as an extra cost and will increase with the $ $ value of each item. You will be covered in your home country only, usually

    If you are going overseas, some credit card companies will automatically cover these items as part of your Travel Insurance if you have purchased the tickets / trip with the credit card

  2. Reply
    June 26, 2011 at 1:25 pm

    Even a basic Homeowner’s policy is going to cover contents both on premises and off premises, however almost all Homeowner’s policies will limit the coverage for jewellery and watches. In order to be adequately protected you need to inquire what this sublimit is and inquire if these more expensive items can be scheduled separately on the policy (for an additional premium). This way you can be assured that those items are being insured for their full value.
    To correct in a previous post, travel insurance (including those offered by credit cards) will cover lost baggage by a carrier, however no travel insurance policy will cover items stolen in a mugging.

    Leave a reply

    Register New Account
    Reset Password